Home > Academics
The Hindu College is recognized as one of the premier academic institutions in the country. It stands tall in public esteem and also in the memories of its alumni, many of whom are now prominent figures in government, business and industry, the media and education. Notwithstanding its name, students from all religions have grown up here and excelled in the chosen areas of their interests, be it academics, sports, or extra-curricular activities. However, the college was not built in a day.
The Hindu College was founded more than a century ago in 1899, by Late Shri Krishan Dassji Gurwale. In the backdrop of the nationalist struggle against the British rule, some prominent citizens including Shri Gurwaleji of Delhi, decided to start a college that would, while being non-elitist and non-sectarian, provide nationalist education to the youth of Delhi.
Originally, the College was housed in a humble building in Kinari Bazar, Chandni Chowk, and it was affiliated to the Punjab University as there was no Delhi University at that time. As the college grew, it faced a major crisis in 1902 due to inadequate infrastructure. But fortunately at this point Rai Bahadur Sultan Singh generously donated a part of his historic property (which originally belonged to Col. Skinner) at Kashmere Gate, to the College thereby enabling it to function there till 1953 when it moved to its present location in the Delhi University.
Spread over 25 acres of land, the College premises are housed in one of the prime locations of the North Campus of the University of Delhi, and it is well connected by road and the Delhi Metro. The college campus is well known for its well-maintained gardens and lovely trees, a vast sports ground, and a menís hostel which can accomodate nearly 200 students. It also has one of the finest auditoria in Delhi, a state-of-the-art seminar room, and last but not the least, its very own canteen where the eatables can get as sumptuous as the discussions.
This is the only College in Delhi to have a Studentsí Parliament since 1935, which in fact, provided a platform to many national leaders including Mahatma Gandhi, Pt. Moti Lal Nehru, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru, Sarojini Naidu, Mohammad Ali Jinnah, and Subhash Chandra Bose for motivating the youth to participate in the freedom struggle. Responding whole-heartedly to Gandhijiís Quit India call in 1942, the college played a leading role in the freedom struggle as some teachers and students of the college even went to prison.
The college has seen remarkable growth over the years. And, today it is not only one of the most distinguished graduate and postgraduate co-educational institutions in the country, but is also, by many accounts, the college of first choice in Delhi. It boasts of an accomplished faculty of about one hundred and twenty members, and more than two thousand students. The college is also proud of its efficient and very supportive non-academic staff. It offers a number of courses in the science, humanities and the social science streams. The College also has a rich collection of books and journals in its library, well-equipped laboratories, a Girlsí Common Room, the NSS and NCC Rooms, etc. There is also a Studentsí Centre that offers the facilities of a Seminar Room, Bank, Computer Room, Stationery Shop, and a Photocopier, etc.
The College provides a liberal, lively and competitive environment enabling students to carve out a niche for themselves in their chosen arenas. Besides the infrastructural facilities, the strength of the college lies in its congenial and enriching atmosphere, which plays a crucial role in maintaining the excellent record the college is renowned for. Generations of students who have been groomed in this college have excelled in different walks of life, with the years spent in the College providing them a solid foundation on which they could craft their success.